Home

The San Francisco Bay Scottish Terrier Club encourages and promotes the breeding of quality purebred Scottish Terriers.Scotties on the Golden Gate Bridge

We strive to:

  • Bring out their natural qualities to perfection.
  • Urge members and breeders to accept the standard of the breed as approved by the American Kennel Club as the only standard by which Scottish Terriers shall be judged.
  • Encourage sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, obedience trials, and earth dog tests.
  • Conduct sanctioned and licensed specialty shows, obedience trials, and earth dog tests under the rules of the American Kennel Club.
  • Provide resources for Scottish Terrier breeders, potential owners, and Scottish Terrier rescue workers and adoptees.

Recent Posts

WARNING ” XYLITOL” TOXIC TO DOGS

A citywide alert went out for pet owners in Alameda, California about Xylitol a sugar supplement.
“Yesterday Benny, a 2-year-old dog that lives here in Alameda, ate a cupcake out of the compost that contained xylitol and passed away,” the Sept. 5 alert to residents said. “While heartbroken, the family wants to make sure that other dog owners are aware of this poison.”

Dr. Michael Miller, a veterinary at Providence Veterinary Hospital & Clinic in Alameda, explained in the alert that xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs and can be found in chewing gum, breath mints, peanut butter and nasal sprays.

“It’s best to avoid xylitol completely and use other sugar substitutes,” Miller said in the alert. “If you cannot avoid using products containing xylitol, then make absolutely sure they are stored safely out of reach of your pets.”

The family said Benny started vomiting after he ate the cupcake, so he called his mom to find out what ingredients she made them with. Once he started Googling potential symptoms, he rushed Benny to the veterinarian but it was too late.“He was the best dog every“ So happy when we came home. So unfair to lose him at 2 years old.”

Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs.

Do not induce vomiting or give anything orally to your dog unless specifically directed to do so by your veterinarian. It is important to get treatment for your dog as quickly as possible.  As some dogs may already be hypoglycemic, inducing vomiting can make them worse!

If you suspect that your pet has eaten a xylitol-containing product, please contact your veterinarian immediately or call the

           PET POISON HELPLINE   800-213-6680   OR            www.petpoisonhelpline.co

 

 

  1. CANINE INFLUENZA VIRUS NOTICE by Dr. Jerry Klein Leave a reply
  2. 2017 COMMITTEE CHAIRS Leave a reply
  3. LEPTOSPIROSIS – A LETHAL DISEASE Leave a reply
  4. BEWARE OF POISONED MUSHROOMS Leave a reply
  5. LIFE VESTS FOR DOGS 1 Reply
  6. 2017 OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS Leave a reply
  7. New Urine Test For Bladder Cancer Leave a reply
  8. New Cushings Study 1 Reply
  9. SFBSTC 2016 SPECIALTY RESULTS Leave a reply